Harrowden

St Hubert's Chapel was built in 1905 for Hubert Mostyn, 7th baron vaux of harrowden by Browns of Wellingborough in memory of his first wife Eleanor Matheson who died in 1896 and was opened by Bishop Riddell on 24th November 1905. The outside of the Chapel is a copy of Archbishop Chichele's College at Higham Ferrers which was muh admired by Hubert abd his 2nd wife (who he married in 1902) Margaret Chichele Plowden who came from Higham Ferrers.

On 8th June 1911 St Huberts was registered for births, marriages and deaths. The stained glass windows above the altar are of St Huber, St George and St Charles (Lord Vaux's Christian names) St Dominic and St Francis (which are the names he took when he was confirmed). The windows were made by Hardman of Birmingham as were the alabaster status which were added later. The other stained glass windows depict English Saints and Martyrs.

In 1924 Lord Vaux designed the mortuary chapel on his honeymoon with his 3rd wife Mary (Freyda) Radcliffe and in 1926 the bell, made by Taylors and Longbow, was hung. The 14 Stations of the Cross are of black bronze, made in Belgium and are unusual in that they show whole figures, not the symbolic parts. There are 2 Reredos, one on either side of the centre Tabernacle. On the left is a scene depicting the vision of St Hubert (a stag with a crucifix between the antlers) and on the right, St george slaying the dragon. Around the mortuary chapel are the Latin words taken from the Funeral Rite: Saints of God help, Angles of the Lord come forward, receive his (or her) soul, offer it before the face of God.

Mass is celebrated regularly at 11.00am or 6.00pm on the last Sunday of every month.

Who was St Hubert?

Saint Hubertus or Hubert was born in 656 in Toulouse . He is often called "Apostle of the Ardennes" and was Bishop of Maastricht and the first Bishop of Liege. A pleasure-loving young man, Saint Hubert received a vision one Good Friday of a crucifix standing between the antlers of the stag he was hunting, and heard a voice calling him to seek out St Lambert as his Spiritual Director . He distributed his personal wealth to the poor and then studied for the priesthood. He took St Lambert’s place after his assassination and removed the last elements of superstition from the Ardennes.

Hubert died peacefully in Brabant on 30th May 727. He was first buried in the collegiate church of St. Peter, Liège, but his bones were exhumed and translated to the Benedictine Abbey of Amdain in the Ardennes in 825. The abbey became a focus for pilgrimages, until the coffin disappeared during the reformation. His feast day is the 3rd of November, probably the date of the translation of his relics to Amdain. He is celebrated as the patron s aint of hunters, mathematicians, opticians and metalworkers, and used to be invoked to cure rabies.